How to Clean Birkenstock Footbeds, Birkenstocks are a well-loved type of sandal, praised for their comfort and long-lasting nature. However, the footbed of Birkenstocks can gather dirt and start to smell after a while. If you wish for your Birkenstocks to continue looking and smelling fresh, cleaning the footbed regularly is crucial.
There are several methods to clean the footbed of your Birkenstocks. You can choose from using mild soap and water, a mixture of baking soda and vinegar, or a commercial shoe cleaner.
To clean the footbed with soap and water, you need to slightly wet a cloth with warm water and a gentle soap. Clean the footbed with the cloth, focusing on any spots that are especially dirty or have a bad smell. Wash the cloth and go over the footbed again until it is clean.
For cleaning with baking soda and vinegar, mix equal parts of baking soda and vinegar in a bowl. Dip a cloth into this mixture, squeeze out the excess, and then wipe the footbed. Focus on any particularly dirty or smelly areas. Let the footbed dry in the air completely.
When using a commercial shoe cleaner, simply follow the instructions provided on the product’s label.
After cleaning, you can apply a waterproofing spray to protect the footbed from future dirt and stains.
Tips for Cleaning Birkenstocks Footbed
- Always use mild soap and water, as harsh chemicals can damage the footbed.
- Steer clear of abrasive cleaners to avoid scratching the footbed.
- If you opt for the baking soda and vinegar method, ensure you rinse the footbed well afterward.
- Allow the footbed to completely dry in the air before you wear your Birkenstocks again.
Following these tips will help keep your Birkenstocks’ footbed clean and in good condition.
Birkenstocks are celebrated for their comfort and durability. Yet, the footbed can get dirty and develop an odor over time. Regular cleaning is key to maintaining their best look and smell.
This guide will walk you through simple steps to clean your Birkenstocks’ footbed and offer advice on preventing them from getting dirty.
Steps: How to Clean Birkenstock Footbeds
You will need:
- A soft cloth
- Warm water
- Mild soap
Cleaning your Birkenstocks involves:
- Rinsing the footbed with warm water to remove loose dirt or debris.
- Putting a little mild soap on the cloth.
- Gently rubbing the footbed with the cloth to lift stains and dirt.
- Rinsing the footbed again with warm water to get rid of soap leftovers.
- Allowing the footbed to air dry thoroughly.
Here are additional tips for maintaining your Birkenstocks’ footbed:
- Use a soft brush for removing dirt and debris.
- Wipe the footbed with a moist cloth to clean off sweat and dirt.
- Spray the footbed with a disinfectant to eliminate bacteria.
- Ensure the footbed is completely dry before putting your Birkenstocks on again.
FAQs: How to Clean Birkenstock Footbeds
Q: How often should I clean my Birkenstocks?
A: Clean them as needed, but at least once a month. If you wear them daily, they might need cleaning more frequently.
Q: What can I use to clean my Birkenstocks?
A: Various household items can clean your Birkenstocks, including soap and water, white vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, laundry detergent, and shoe cleaner.
Q: How do I clean the footbed of my Birkenstocks?
A: You can soak the footbed in soap and water, scrub it with a brush or cloth, rinse it off, and then let it dry completely.
Q: How do I prevent my Birkenstocks from getting dirty?
A: Wear socks with them, clean them after each wear, and store them in a clean place.
Q: What if my Birkenstocks are smelly?
A: Try soaking them in vinegar and water, sprinkle baking soda on the footbed overnight, or freeze them for a few hours.
Q: Can I put my Birkenstocks in the washing machine or dryer?
A: No, both can damage the cork footbed and leather straps.
Q: How do I store my Birkenstocks?
A: Store them in a shoe bag, box, or on a shoe rack.
Q: Where can I buy Birkenstocks?
A: Birkenstocks are available online or at various retail stores.
Q: How much do Birkenstocks cost?
A: Prices vary but typically range from $100 to $200 depending on style and material.
Birkenstocks are a top pick for those seeking comfortable, fashionable footwear. However, their footbeds can accumulate dirt and odor with time. By adhering to these cleaning tips, you can ensure your Birkenstocks remain clean and appealing.