How to Clean an Air Conditioner Wall Unit, Keeping your air conditioner wall unit clean can do wonders for the air you breathe inside your home, help you save on energy bills, and make your air conditioner last longer.
Why Cleaning Your Air Conditioner Wall Unit is a Good Idea:
- Better Air Inside Your Home: A clean air conditioner helps eliminate dust, dirt, and unwanted particles in the air. This means you can breathe easier and stay healthier.
- Save Money on Energy: When your air conditioner is dirty, it has to work harder, which means it uses more energy. Cleaning it helps it run more smoothly, so you pay less for electricity.
- It Will Last Longer: Keeping your air conditioner clean helps prevent breakdowns, making it last longer.
How to Clean an Air Conditioner Wall Unit:
You’ll need a few things to start cleaning your air conditioner:
- A vacuum cleaner
- A damp cloth
- Something to freshen the air, like a deodorizer
- Maybe a ladder to reach high places
Here’s how you do it:
- Make sure the air conditioner is off and unplugged.
- Take off the front panel of the air conditioner.
- Use the vacuum to clean the coils and fins inside.
Clean the inside and outside of the air conditioner with a damp cloth.
- Put some deodorizer inside the air conditioner to make it smell nice.
- Put the front panel back on.
- Turn the air conditioner back on and let it run to move the clean air around.
Doing these steps helps your air conditioner work better and stops dirt from building up.
FAQs about Air Conditioner Wall Unit Cleaning
- How often should I clean my unit?
- It depends on your local climate, how much you use your air conditioner, and how clean your home’s air is. Generally, once a year is good, but you might need to clean it more often under certain conditions.
- How do I know if my unit needs cleaning?
- Signs include less cooling power, strange noises, dust or debris from the vents, or a musty smell. If you notice these, it might be time for a cleaning.
- What should I avoid when cleaning?
- Don’t use strong chemicals, wet cloths, vacuum cleaners on the inside, or turn on the air conditioner while cleaning. These can damage your unit.
- Why should I clean my unit?
- Cleaning improves air quality, energy efficiency, and the lifespan of your air conditioner.
- Can I clean my unit myself?
- Yes, you can. Turn off the power, clean or replace the air filter, vacuum, and wipe down the unit. If you’re not comfortable, consider hiring a professional.
- How much does professional cleaning cost?
- It varies, but expect to pay between $50 and $150, depending on various factors.
- Common cleaning mistakes?
- Using harsh chemicals, wet clothes, or improper cleaning procedures can all lead to mistakes.